Recently, I must admit, the ebbing cloud of smog that blankets Toronto has lost it's sense of wonder for me. The sky, a permanent hue of grey, has almost replaced the colour blue in my memory. And, I can almost remember a time when clean air didn't smell like sewer steam.


I think Toronto is starting to lose it's sparkle.

As a skeptical environmentalist, I have set forward to implement changes that will ultimately benefit my surroundings. Which, brings me to the point: you don't need to be a treehugger in order to save the environment. However, don't be naïve to believe that there isn't a big business behind the push for the environment.

Yes, my unwashed hippie friends, even your patchouli oil is included in that.

It's hard not to dig the propaganda of a sustainable culture. The benefits are great and include: reduced emissions, less toxic run off into ground water sources, reduction in greenhouse gases and heck, rumour has it, less noxious chemicals might even make for tastier food.

Hey, I'm down for that.

Recently Toronto's City Hall is on a desperate quest to divert 70% of household waste by 2010. That includes FINALLY accepting plastic bags in blue bin pick ups. How many plastic grocery bags? 2.5 BILLION grocery bags.

Local recycling plants are eager to acquire all the plastic grocery bags they can get. Plastic bags are hot material when it comes to making plastic lumber. However, the word in the Recycling world says that local municipalities sign contracts with waste management companies who are willing to sort higher valued recyclables, such as aluminum, and can't be bothered to sort out the lesser valued plastic bags. Which, ultimately end up taking space, breaking down, releasing noxious fumes, and probably indirectly be the cause for random biological mutations, like two headed calves and children that grow into Tories.

So I've decided that until we can have an uncorrupted system, I'm just going to rely on myself to do the right thing!

Thankfully, Dominion and A&P grocery stores accept plastic bags for recycling. So my giant collection will be diverted there and then shipped to the U.S. for recycling.

I'm now armed with a sassy little shopping cart that I can wheel with me to the shops. It completely eliminates the need for plastic bags AND it's so much easier on my shoulders.

Recruiting a local hottie to carry my (reused) bags for me is always fun. Once home, I can rub his shoulders, maybe save some water and have a shower together. But, in the end... When it comes to greener sex, it's okay to toss the condoms.

Yep, this environmental racket is pretty slick. It only takes a little selfish initiative and a willingness to do good.