I've been working on this particular piece for a while.


The style is completely inorganic to me so I thought it would be a good exercise. Considering I still think of myself as a tourist in the city I thought writing 1500 words on my visceral experience meandering through Toronto and the inherit novelty of the peaceful coexistance of various cultures would make for an interesting piece.

As always, I just want to inspire people by painting with words.

Hope you like! -KC

To look out the window is to be visually accosted by an impressive
cluster of sky scrapers- overwhelming to my small town Maritime girl
sensibilities. Although, once I resolved to explore Canada's largest city, the
swirling drone of traffic noise, sidewalk musicians, and street vendors was a
heady lure into a multicultural mix that was both curious and
inviting.


It was apparent the moment I touched toe to Yonge Street, I
willingly crossed a point of no return. Like Alice through the looking glass, I
had committed to follow Yonge St. towards a din of the city's hustle and bustle.
When I turn to see from whence I came I realized the road is infinitely long,
dotted with lighted decorations, quaint community flags, and signage advertising
the city sanctioned abolishment of left turns on Yonge.


Once at Yonge Dundas Square a bustling market is well underway.
Hundreds of booths with international vendors are erected across this small open
air space in the heart of the city. While the temperature outside is chilly, the
air has a warmth to it, and the former clash of generic city noise is quelled by
rich Iranian airs magically constructed by the musicians voluntarily taking
residence on the open air stage. The music, combined with the voices of vendors
selling their wares including rich Middle Eastern textiles, Italian gelato and
South Asian silk saris magically ushers me into an international utopia.


With my interest piqued and my courage growing I quickly climb
aboard one of Toronto's landmark streetcars. There I stand, proud and
courageous: the small town girl who demystified the great Toronto. Then as the
bell rang to summon an upcoming stop, it dawns on me, I don't know where I'm
going.


And, I really didn't care!