Tuesday morning in my little office.

Head down.
Erykah Badu sings

Time to save the world
Where in the world is all the time
So many things I still don't know
So many times I've changed my mind
Guess I was born to make mistakes
But I ain't scared to take the weight
So when I stumble off the path
I know my heart will guide me back



I stumble off the path a lot. I mean, I follow my heart as far as my head will allow me these days. I refuse to allow my self worth be measured through the opinions of others. I've already done that, it was called a beauty pageant, and I don't need to go back there again.



I am your average metropolitan girl. I have a fabulous place to live, a sassy group of girl friends to sit discuss life with over pot luck dinners. I can strut my way through Yorkville with my cuban military hat, my winter scarf spring tied around my neck and my oh-so-fitted spring pea-coat with my walkman in my ears I listen to an eclectic mix of Beastie Boys, Thrush Hermit, Lily Allen, Madonna and Jill Scott.

I toss a quarter to the hand out on the street, I listen to his story of his son. I accept his blessing, I wish him well.

I get a pink coloured drink from the coffee shop down the street. I sip on it as I play with an adorable Liliputian lap dog wriggling for attention.

March Breakers look for directions to the ROM across the street.

Construction workers turn to stare. I stare back, I pull down my sunglasses and wink back with a smile. We talk. Travellers mostly, New York, New Jersey, East Coast, West Coast, they've come to build the ROM. I ask if they get danger pay. They don't. We toast to not stepping on nails, they wish me well, I turn to wave goodbye.

This is my life. My city. My world. We all smile, we all work, we are all in it together.

Make it a community.

I can strut my way down the street with my head up...

(Yeah, I did smile at you)

Now I work with my head down. But, I can't wait for my walk home.