While in the middle of writing a post about Toronto Arts & Culture my telephone rang.

"Hello?"
"Hi, it's Fang." Fang= The woman whose mat leave I'm covering.

It's been a week since Fang gave birth to her first child Max and I've been itching to ring her up. However, the fear of disturbing her while she might be getting some well deserved rest or even worse, disturbing the baby!

I was so excited to hear from her, to hear about the birth and to hear her overwhelming happiness transcend through the telephone wires and touch me into smiling.

"You know when you wonder if it's all worthwhile (Giving birth to a child). It is. Believe me, KC when I tell you, it is." Yes, my eyes welled up. I'm a sucker for magic, and this is so beautiful it's the magic I want to believe in.

Fang is a genuine soul. An honest person with an inherit wisdom I've drawn audience to on more than one occasion since we first met in January. On our first day together she took my hand and put it on her belly so I could feel Max wriggle about. "He's unhappy with something" She told me. "How do you know?", I asked. "Because, when he's happy he does something quite different". Yeah, my eyes got teary then as well.

"Frank's been staring at him in awe. He's amazed that Max is his."

I could hear Little Max bubble and squeak on the other end of the line. And, I wished with all my heart I could reach out, pick him up and hold him. Max is so lucky to have parents like Fang and Frank. I couldn't be happier for two of the kindest people.

The older the get the more I wonder if I'm ever going to truly feel what Fang is lucky to feel. It's a privilege to find someone who values you enough to want you to be their partner and the eventual mother of their child. That is flattery, that has substance and meaning. That is being placed on a pedestal higher above any other honour.

It's easy to be a girlfriend.
It's hard to be a partner.

And, I am neither.