Why should boys be the only one with toys?
Women stereotypically indulge in clothes, but recently I've discovered there's one other item that women talk about almost as candidly as a they talk about a pair of shoes.

Seeeeeeexxxxxxxxx Toyyysssssssss

Maybe if I write it with excessive letters my mother won't be able to decifer the actual context.

Vibrators have moved into the mainstream and have become an acceptable addition to most womens' bedside table collections. So what gives? Did we go through another sexual revolution? As a woman, I was trained there was one great liberation of bra burning dotted with shouts of equality. From there came raunchy books on sex, then the backlash. A giant female slam against erotic publications and shops that sold the offensive materials. To own a vibrator? What!? Unheard of!

Then there was this show: Sex and the City. Featuring a group of sexually adventurous archetypal females. Then sex talk, sex play and sexual everything came to the fore and women everywhere were brunching over topics of orgasms and hooking up.

My personal favorite topic is the ex. But, that topic is a little tired... there's only so much you can say until one friend chimes in "He was an idiot, not cute, and you're so much better than him!" I know it, he knows it, we all know it! But, it feels real good to hear it, lots!

I digress!

Going back to the topic at hand, I realized the other day while dozing on my girlfriend's bed that she never owned a vibrator. Shocked, I couldn't believe it. Never used a vibrator, never owned a vibrator, never even held a vibrator! Can it be? A young 20 something female who is essentially a vibrator virgin?

Yes, it's true.

Where the vast majority of women have embraced their little mechanical buddies as acceptable substitutions for men. In many cases, this is probably for the best. They don't break your heart, they don't leave a big mess and they never let you down- especially when it counts.

Although, they don't cook you dinner and you would probably look a little odd sitting next to one in a movie theatre, you never have to wonder what it is that they're thinking!

So after I resolve to purchase my friend her first Knight of Shining Armour, I had to bid a fond adieu to my own. He served me well, and now he must be put to rest. So as I toss my beloved bunny (a gift from my university sweetheart) who has survived, 4 cities, 2 long term boyfriends and many lonely nights.

And, as I pack up bunny, I can't help but wonder if this is my liberation. Is this the last of the bad boyfriend karma that was lingering around my apartment? Can I finally be free?

Yes, I can.

The next one I get, I'm buying myself.