The only thing I've made of my dating life is a giant mess -oh! And, several small fires.

Regardless of the intensity of the flames, whether it started on a sexy spark and then crashed and burned, there's little you can do to stop it. Sometimes convincing yourself is the hardest part! Regardless, keep in mind, that if a relationship is doomed to go up in smoke, believe me when I tell you, the only option you have is to walk away.

So let's draw from a real life example:

Lil' Miss Me, goes out with a funny and interesting guy, Mr. F2 as he will be known as. Everything about our pairing was off including 10 years, a career and a marriage.

Thinking like the optimistic child that I am, I reasoned that I should give it a shot. And, without questioning it, I was starting to dig Mr. F2. But, I also knew it had to end.

So several dates later, some awkward and unfruitful attempts at sex, I walked away trying to figure out how I was going to break up with him.

What I reasoned is a few parameters, such as:

1. The break up must be in person. Nullifying email, text messaging, phone and msn messenger.
2. The break up must enforce my appreciation for his company as well as my ill fitting as a girlfriend.
3. The break up must be sincere.


Sunday morning, what was in my inbox:

"So I've been thinking about it - we're very different people and I
don't feel this is going to work out. I think we should stop seeing
each other. I'm sorry it didn't work out but I think it's for the
best in the long run. I hope we can still keep things amicable."


While I was a little shocked that I was putting so much care and effort into devising the perfect break up, Mr. F2 just laid it all out on the table in the most efficiently evasive manner, through email.

This one was smoldering and then in final hours it was butted out with little care. So while my friends were laughing at my expense over this turn of events, I was left wondering if I wasn't worth breaking up in person with.

Can relationships be like a smoldering cigarette butt? Once you're finished smoking, you smother out the butt and toss it away without so much as looking back.

I guess so!
wow.