While at work, one of our students came in. She was down and a little depressed. She's still hurting over a recent love that left her life only a month ago.
Is the story sounding familiar? No, it's not me! Let's just squash that thought right now!!!

Well here's the difference, he broke up with her over the phone. He used the rhetoric we're all familiar with: I'm so busy, It's me not you, I just don't want to be involved, I'm confused, etc.

The relationship was short, but, in the time frame he confessed his love for her and led her to believe that a future was possible. So when he cowardly gave his notice over the phone it really really hurt.

I feel that emotional pain is so difficult to deal with that we as women (sorry, boys) forget that we can have control over our own destiny.

Don't be afraid. Make that your mantra in post breakup!

I won't be afraid to cry
I won't be afraid to show my emotions
I won't be afraid to be angry
I won't be afraid of the future
I won't be afraid to be strong
I won't be afraid to get closure

The last one is always so hard to work with. Because, sometimes you won't get answers on why they left you. However, sometimes, closure is within your grasp. You just need to NOT be afraid to reach out and grab it. Not being afraid to get closure also means that you're not afraid to be strong (i.e. - accepting that getting closure may mean hearing the reasons why he doesn't want to be involved)

My student friend is afraid to show she's weak.
"But, he dumped me
I say, "There's a difference. Being weak is denying yourself the one event that will ultimately provide you with the happiness you crave. Nothing to be ashamed to meet up with your ex, talk about life, rediscover who they are, show them what a beautiful person you've grown into, and ask in a non-threatening way the circumstances that led to the end of the relationship. If he's honest and good, he will provide you with answers. If he's not, he won't and you understand at that point he wasn't strong enough to be in a relationship with you."

Sometimes we're lucky, relationships last. Sometimes we're lucky and we bounce back after they end. However, I never ever ever believe that any of us are unlucky in love.
Ever.