Every Geeker wants to know, "How can I get more hits to my website?" or "How can I increase the profile of my site?" Well the answer is easier than you think. So I decided that this might be a good topic for a series on KCBS. While, I may be a writer, an editor, former fundraiser and marketer, few people know that I also am a relatively successful web marketer.

Believe it. It's true.

Enter, TwentySomethingTV. In 2008, I began working on a series called Twenty Something. On camera, I came on as a guest co-host who quickly became a regular. Off camera, I was the show's PR Rep, working exclusively through the internet, we managed to clock 1 million viewers, got a Wikipedia listing, were featured in several newspapers (online and off), were negotiating deals from China to Lavalife, were attending all the city's hottest events and even had co-hosts from Playboy models to VP's at Scotia Bank - oh and Todd Shapiro from Edge102.1FM was our regular male co-host.

Sounds pretty good, huh? Yeah, I'm a rockstar. I won't lie.

But, you need to understand one basic concept with PR and publicity:


Publicity, by definition, is the mention in the news media or by word of mouth or other means of communication.
The internet, most notably social media, is a vast network of free resources that only exist through the act of communication.

The internet is essentially free, easy to maneuver and free. However, you will not get results without a certain level of commitment.

Are you still with me? I promise you, this is useful information.

But, this all hinges on three main sections:

1. Have content. Your content online has shelf life. So you need to post often and post relavent.
The numbers here vary, but, you ought to be posting at least once a day. Full stop.

If you want to argue this, feel free, I won't listen. Because if you do any research you'll see this is true and you are wrong.

2. Rely on your Friends. Your posts are only as successful as your network of friends. So ask your friends to visit your blog, participate, comment, share the link with their networks and maybe even post!

3. Tag for optimal SEO opimization.

So how are we doing this for Karmacake? Well, I'm doing it all the time! I will reveal more details as I go forward, but I'm not giving up all the good stuff right away.

If you want to observe, participate and actively see how I do it (and have some fun along the way) you might want to start by following me on Twitter @karmacakedotca and maybe subscribing to my RSS Feed.

Feel free to post questions, I will answer. I like connecting with other people. :)

Because I'm a sucker like that.
I also like praise.
Gifts.
Candy.
Beer.
Buffets.
AYCE Sushi.
BBQ
Kittens - but not to eat.
Rockstars.