The other night, I went to a Ketel One tasting and missed it. My cab driver didn't have change, a functioning debit machine or the grace to accept that he screwed up. So, outside the Spoke Club, I sat as collateral for half an hour while my boyfriend went on a hunt for money.

Don't expect anyone at Susur's new restaurant Madeline's to help - being surrounded by pretentious vittles in an overly articulated space and an ridiculously priced menu obviously erodes the sense of goodwill to humanity. Whatever, Susur, your staff needs to get over themselves, whether they are serving at Madeline's or at Smoke's Poutinery - they are still just a server. If you tell them they are an extension of you, well, then they have no problems acting like asses, which tells me they are either full of themselves, or are representing you to the fullest of their abilities. Either way, maybe the staff needs to get the memo - Charity is in.

Regardless, nearly an hour late in the end, Matt and I walk in to the tasting that just finished. Around a long conference table were neatly placed tasting mats each with three glasses. One Ketel One Vodka, one Absolut and one Grey Goose - it would've been fun to go through the tasting, but as a food writer, I know it won't be my last.

Matt and I did get there in time to be awarded with our gift bags, darling bottles of Ketel One, Grand Marnier and a sassy Ketel One Boston Shaker. My next party thanks you Ketel One!

So we headed home not long after a conversation with Bethe-Anne Perry, the sassy retro styled Reserve Brand Ambassador who charismatically waltzed Matt and I though the history of Ketel One. I didn't realize the over 300 years of tradition Ketel One possesses! I especially didn't know that the vodka's characteristic smoothness is attributed to the alembic copper pot stills. Something that sets it apart from the popular "Douche Goose"

You know... the grey one.

All that aside let me guide you on how to have your own Ketel One tasting party, with gusto!

First, I went to the Ketel One website... I encountered this screen, where I entered my desired age. Sept 12, 1988... not too far off from the real thing.

DENIED! Ketel One was not to be fooled that easily! I was invited to come back in 0 years or the equivalent of never... Shame. I'm beginning to think that Karmacake and Ketel One will never truly connect.
Eventually I log into the site, locked up tighter than Fort Knox, and proceed to Products then to the Ketel One Challenge.

Go to the Ketel One website and download the tasting mat provided (Products/Ketel One Challenge) - I had Stoli, Ketel One and Alberta Premium.

Now pour a little in a snifter or a wine glass, swirl it around to coat the sides, take a sniff and then take a taste. The first might be a little jarring, but stick with it, when tasted in comparison, the nuances of the vodka will come through. Just simply being able to notice one obvious difference like the levels of burn going down, is enough to define an opinion.

Based upon burn the Alberta Premium is ideal for paint removal, cockroach extermination and hair relaxing.
Stoli is the cheapest vodka available that can be drank neat - 'nuff said.
Ketel One was... well... I'll let you figure it out for yourselves!

Enjoy the Ketel One experience!

Go to the website and get recipes - best way to cap off a tasting is with a cocktail! Since they gave us the Grand Marnier, we're drinking cosmos.