The other day, when I was making follow up calls for an education and outreach fundraising campaign, I called a local business.
Feeling that this particular charity has grave importance in occupying the idle minds of potentially great future community leaders, I have significant buy in. Especially with the wave of unprecedented violence that is ravaging the GTA! I believe that a program that focusses on giving opportunity to the underserved youth is one that needs to upheld with honour in light of recent events.

Do you know what this business' representative told me?

"We donated all our funds to Katrina Relief."

Was Katrina devestating? Yes. Were the victims victimized by their own gov't? Yes. Is the United States, financially, more than capable of taking care of their own? Yes!

What upsets me isn't that this charity was declined. It wasthe overwhelmingly apathetic attitude of Canadians towards their own emergencies! When flooding occured out west, I bet a dollar this company didn't step up to the plate. When Nova Scotia was hit by a hurricane years ago, I bet they dismissed it entirely. Now Toronto is hit by multiple shootings daily, and those we look to for assistance turn a blind eye.

My point is: If you are a Canadian, I would think you have an invested interest in making the country as strong as possible for the betterment of you and of me. A civic responsibility to take care of your own, so that collectively we can assist others.

The truth is: Canadians are filled with push/pull inclinations. When there's an appeal for emergency outside our own, we respond ten fold! But, when the emergency blatantly happens locally, we fain ignorance.

Yes, assist others, but, don't let problems internationally monopolize your funds!