I love innovative thinkers and Lauren Wise, the creator of Shop the Block, definitely gets a thumbs up from me. Anyone who is quick to react to the effects of the economic downturn by taking in a concern for both business owners and consumers, is tops in my books.

So here's the deal, a group of Toronto area shops have thrown down a serious move to make recessionistas happy. Think Student Price Card for grown ups who don't care about a free pop with their sub at subway.

Anyone who isn't from Toronto probably doesn't know that the city is notorious for loving high-end niche boutiques but the vast majority are rotten for supporting local. We're not talking foodies, fooders or food trends here, we're talking mom and pop boutiques. Even then, Torontonians are in denial - no doubt, I'll get some evil words thrown at me but whatever.

Like many similar services, Shop the Block requires a $65 annual membership which seems a little steep to access a smattering of 50 shops and services across Toronto - the majority of which I have no need for. I've owned lots of these cards and to this day, I've never broke even on one of them. But, that's not to say it's not for you.

If you're not cheap like me and you have $65 to invest in a savings program that could cut up to 20% or more on your expenses at your favorite shops - then you should do it. The exclusive membership program will offer you discounts at independent boutiques and restaurants as well as towards services and classes in areas across the city.

Shop the Block has plans to expand even further across the city and I'm pumped to watch it grow. When there are few more in my neighborhood, I'll probably take the plunge.

Here's a random selection of shops featured in the program; more on the website:

Boom Breakfast Co.
Bella
Groove School of Dance
Le Pain Quotidien
Living2
Look Hair Studios
Organic Abundance
The Paper Boutique
The Southside Restaurant and Bar
Toytown
Tutto Pronto
Vision by Strolf
What a Bagel
Li'l Niblets & Baby Sprouts

Shop the Block - http://www.shoptheblock.ca