What happens when Twitter decides to host an online telethon to raise money to provide clean water to children in Kenya?

Karmacake shows up and drops some truth bombs.

Standard sources of electricity pollutes more than your average car. Therefore considering the Twitter HQ is in San Francisco, chances are, for every dollar they raised, it's been negated by the amount of pollution generated.

I also think is disappointing when fundraising efforts are being concentrated on areas outside the immediate needs of their own home. The US has poverty, drugs, street youth, gang violence, shanty towns, and people who don't even have enough money to have running water in their homes, yet Twitter proposes to raise funds for Kenya?!

Shameful.

The entire exercise is embarrassing, while I appreciate the enthusiasm that Twitter users are showing for important causes, the complete disregard for the local issues that are prevalent in their own country is a little embarrassing - and it has not gone unnoticed. See the above image.

I'm no saint, obviously I use electricity and I am responsible for my own fair share of pollution, regardless of how small I attempt to keep my footprint. But, I'm not oblivious to the end result of my usage.

Twitter apparently is.

Popularity does not mean intelligent.