Albeit a tad overdue, I present to you Karmacake's coverage of [FAT] aka - Toronto's Alternative Fashion Week.

For anyone who might not be aware, [FAT] is a seasonal showcase of art, music and fashion established to support emerging artists within the city. Heck Yes I want to go! With great emerging artists come great emerging trends, so as a fashion journalist I believe it's my job to make it to these events.

A girl's gotta stay current.

So armed with a single press pass, I showed up with my notepad and digital camera in hand. My excitement quickly subsided with a vast array of logistical oversights on the [FAT] event management arising and preventing me from successfully covering the event as originally intended.

The night quickly turned into an itemized list of "things that pissed me off". I would love to tell you about the fashion I saw, and provide further information on the designers, but the media table provided me no information other than "grab a seat where you can". The "seat" ended up being a precarious perch on a stolen corner of the performance stage, from there, I saw the usual suspects strut the catwalk.

Instead of seeing cutting edge design the second night of the 3 day week included unfinished hems, mismatched fabrics and an ironic interpretation of every fashion a Ryerson Fashion Student Grad has ever constructed for their grad fashion show.

I can't tell you where the remarkable fashion of previous years' [FAT] was, but I can tell you where it wasn't - At the Distillery's Fermenting Cellar on the evening of April 10th.

There were some
definite hits and that being Zaiden's GLAM Photobooth installation, as featured in the above photo. You can hire the GLAM photobooth team to snazz up your event. Book them by going here

Yes, chances are high that I will return to future Alternative Fashion Weeks, the point being, that even though my experience was humbling and horrible, young artists deserve a forum in which they get exposure and support.

Unfortunately, the exposure and support would probably be greater if the event organizers would treat their media with the same level of respect - REGARDLESS of their level.

One more chance [FAT] and you better dress to impress.