The story starts with myspace.
Ah, myspace, where Ryan Reynolds, regardless of accepting me as a friend, has yet to accept- much less respond!- to my invite to chill.
What up, Ry?

Myspace is wicked. It allows me to surf through people's connections and listen to all sorts of music that I would not necessarily have access to. An armchair concert, if you please!

As I was embarking on one of these journeys, I fell prey to an epileptic seizure encouraged only through incessant electronically generated beats of Peanut Butter Disco. Though, the nap was nice, I decided it was best to continue my quest of click ins.

Time passes, and a bulletin comes up from the very same Peanut Butter Disco. They remixed Beyonce, Nelly Furtado, Madonna, TLC, etc, and it's all available streaming online. Apprehensive of another epileptic fit, I get my summer student to listen first. When the coast is clear I tune in.

You know what, this shit ain't so bad! For me the art of the mixes lie in PBD's ability to recognize and properly manage contrast. Beyonce's "Crazy in Love" is paired with subtle guitars waling on their wah wah's and throwing down an eclectic homeage to the brooding style of the mid 90's... but, still not losing the funk of Beyonce's vox.

Nelly Furtado, known for her amazing acoustic covers, has her track "Turn off the lights" managed acoustically. This treatment is almost as infectious as trolling around myspace for hours. Almost, but not quite.

PBD has worked on 15 tracks with detail in mind. Kylie Minogue's "Slow" is like a later deviation of Garbage, Christina Milian's "Dip it low" is intriguing but, a little out of the pocket, with an upbeat pop rock beat and Madonna's "Music" remix is a safe and somewhat generic remix with a sweetly playing Spanish guitar overshadowing the hook. Honestly, "Music" wasn't such a hot song in the first place, and really, Peaches had the right idea when she refused Madonna to work on it, and even though PBD didn't make it any better, they didn't make it anymore offensive.

So if you're up for an interesting deviation from mega mixes and power pop polluting the world, check out what this little known outfit has done with some of your fav hits.
PBD Remixes